Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Am I a Terrible Mother?


Last week Ryan was sick. All week long I took care of him and got little to no sleep. Sure Scott helped me but, for the most part, I took care of the little man. Caring for child isn't easy but caring for a a sick toddler is just plain exhausting. I love my son very much but even so it is hard having someone you love constantly needing your undivided attention. Ryan is feeling much better this week. However, his mother is a complete mess this week. She is mentally exhausted and behind in everything she has to do.

In order to get a few things done and to give myself a break I am considering putting Ryan in school 2 additional days this month. He really likes school and I want to get some painting done before school is out for the summer. Makes sense right? Then why am I feeling so guilty? How come as a mother if you aren't 110% all of the time then you feel this weight of guilt and shame. I know for a fact that I am not the only mother out there who feels this way whenever she gives herself a break. I suppose right now I am feeling like I'm damned if I do and I'm damned if I don't. This is the part of motherhood that I can truly say SUCKS!

1 comments:

Flabbergasted said...

I know how you feel. My break time is reading a book or going on the computer for a couple of minutes. I'll feel so guilty, even though, they are entertaining themselves.

Good luck with getting the painting done.