Thursday, April 3, 2008

Meeting Shana

I wasn't sure if I should post about this or not. But I have now realized and accepted that blogging is a sort of therapy (at least for me it is).

Anyway, last Wednesday I met Scott's old girlfriend Shana. Scott dated Shana while he was writing his thesis for his PhD and just out of college. They dated over a long period of time but didn't live in the same place for very long. Most of their relationship was considered "long distance". Even so they were very much in love at one time.

Shana was in town from DC for a wedding and she came over and then we all went to meet A & D for lunch. I was (understandably) a little anxious about meeting her. But once we were introduced I knew that she was a nice person. After having lunch with A & D, Shana went back with them to see their office. Scott, Ryan and I met them at the office after getting a drink at Happy Hour (at Sonic of course). After chatting with Shana, A & D had to get back to work. We took Shana to the park so I could play with Ryan while she and Scott spent time catching up with each other. After that she came back to the house to hang out for a bit before she had to leave to meet her friends.

Believe it or not, there was once a time when Shana really got to me. Actually, it wasn't Shana that bothered me. I mean really, how could she? I had never even met her. In reality it was the thought that Scott had loved someone other than me enough to think of marrying them. There was a period when I even thought that I might have once been a Shana rebound! Scott had to reassure me that that was not the case and that he loved me and was glad he married me (in my own defense, I was pregnant and hormonal when we had that conversation).

I look back now and can't believe I was ever so insecure in my relationship with Scott. I am glad that I met Shana. She is really a good person, she was sweet and I really like her. I can see why Scott dated her and was once in love with her. I can also look at Scott now and know that he loves me and is happy with the choices he has made. I took a picture of Shana with Scott & Ryan so we could remember the day we all shared together. I know Scott cares for Shana and I sincerely hope that they keep in touch and remain lifelong friends.

It's funny for me to say this but, I think I finally understand why older woman often say they like, accept and know themselves more than they did when they were younger. Of course this in no way means that I am aging! It just means I am getting the benefit of living longer than I once had.

0 comments: